Welcome!

Reflections on raising someone who is probably going to change the world.




Wednesday, August 19, 2009

time away

So, my mom and dad took Cassidy last night for her second overnight. Kevin and I both got to sleep for a full 8 hours as well as hang out a little before bed together. I got up this morning and got about one million things done today including washing my hair - woo!

I know a lot of people are kind of surprised that we "let" my parents take her for an overnight already. This puzzles me, probably much the same way it puzzles them that we are willing to part with her. Kevin has a harder time with it than I do. Maybe because 1. it's my family and 2. because this is how I was raised sort of communally. (My mom tells me that when I was three weeks old she and my dad left me with Grandma for the weekend.) But Kevin feels comfortable with it and agrees that we all benefit from the situation. Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't leave her with just anyone. In fact, I'm having a hard time picturing myself handing Cassidy off to the babysitter next week when I got back to work - it feels scary. But I've seen my mom and dad have such an active hand in caring for a set of triplets who are now 4 years old, since they were newborns. Pretty much ever since I moved back to Pittsburgh, I have watched my mom change diapers and feed babies. Plus - she's my MOTHER.

I guess, in addition to wanting a break now and then, I believe strongly that it's good for Cassidy to really know her grandparents. Not just as those people she sees on holidays and an occasional visit - no way. I want her to grow up feeling as secure with my parents as she does when she's with us. Lord knows she isn't always going to want to talk to mom about everything - I hope she picks up the phone and calls Grammy when she is sick of me when she's 13.

Finally, I think it's one of the kindest things you can do for your parents - to let them know and love your child. I heard one woman the other day lament that her daughter doesn't let her grandchildren stay with her. I've heard this before - grandparents whose kids live across the country, or just across town but don't make it a priority that their parents get to spend time with their kids. Sometimes, probably for good reason. But in our case, we'd be crazy to pass up taking advantage of the world's best babysitters. :)

How cute is this, though??

2 comments:

  1. Um...it's freaking adorable! She's a cutie... I'm so glad things are going well for you. I think it's only gonna get better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness. she looks like a little person already! i am so glad that things are changing!

    ReplyDelete