Welcome!

Reflections on raising someone who is probably going to change the world.




Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First day of daycare

So we decided to go with this woman who lives about 5 minutes away and has a two year old son as well as two school ages girls that she watches in her home during the after school hours. Her name is Kristin and both Kevin and I feel good about having her watch Cassidy. She is young (probably early 20s) but I get a good feeling from her. She seems patient and really seems to enjoy children. She also is trying to get pregnant so she's very much in baby-loving mode.

This is absolutely the best arrangement for us, all things considered. Cassidy will be with my dad on Mondays, me on Tuesdays, Kristin on Wednesdays and Fridays and Kevin will have her on Thursdays. I am concerned that she is going to be kind of confused and not fully into a daily routine - but I also think she'll benefit from learning to adapt and go with the flow. I also think it will be great for her to be around other kids to get used to those sounds and that environment. If we have five kids, she would be growing up in a very different home and I want her to have some of that experience. Oh, they also have this teeny, tiny, surprisingly friendly, fat little chiuaua (sp?) doggie.

But, as confident as I am, it's still very difficult to turn your totally dependent, vulnerable baby over to someone you barely know. I find myself considering buying Kristin a webcam and other crazy new-mom stuff - I know I just need to relax and go with it - but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I am also worried that when I come to pick her up, she'll be screaming (which she does fairly frequently when she's with us or my parents) and I'll feel horrible and feel like she might have been doing that all day because I left her - ugh.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment