Welcome!

Reflections on raising someone who is probably going to change the world.




Saturday, April 24, 2010

Today, we upgraded.

We became a real family. As evidenced by the SUV that is currently being washed, waxed and detailed at a dealership a few miles from here and the loan applicaiton that is being processed with our names on it.

There was a time when I thought owning an SUV of any kind was not just a bad idea, but actually wrong. Morally wrong. I no longer feel that way. The gas mileage on the one we picked out is pretty good. It's very safe. It's not obnoxiously huge. It has plenty of room and a latch system for the car seat. Basically it meets our needs and was in our price range. But I still feel a tiny bit like I sold out.

There are a lot of things I find myself doing that, at one time, I never thought I would. For exmaple, I can remember driving back to college after a break with a friend and stopping several times along the way, taking our sweet time, kind of an eye roll gesture at my dad's silly notion that you should complete road trips "before dark". These days, if I am driving, even across town, while I am certainly in no way afraid of driving at night, it just seems kind of sensible to be home "before dark."

I also never thought I would stay home on a Saturday night if I had a choice in the matter and I never dreamed I would bother with using coupons.

However, I am proud to report I have still never left the house in a velour sweat suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment