Welcome!

Reflections on raising someone who is probably going to change the world.




Tuesday, February 16, 2010

mobility

If you've met my mother, she has probably told you that I am an only child because I was a "horrible baby." This is not a joke. Apparently I was so grouchy as an infant my parents couldn't imagine going through all of that again. One thing my mom will say, if pressed on this topic, is that her assessment is that I just didn't like being a baby. Once I could talk and walk and had a little more control over my circumstances, I was much more pleasant. Prior to speaking and moving, all you can really do is cry. And I did a lot of it.

I know exactly what she means because I am pretty sure I am dealing with precisely the same thing. Cassidy is 7 months, one week and I think she is just done being a baby. She gets so unhappy and seems so frustrated that she can't tell us why. She gets bored so easily and she does NOT like being left alone. I think if she could get up and walk where she wanted or say "Hey, People, I've got a wet diaper here," I really think she would be less of an (as our pediatrician called it) "intense responder."

I love her babyhood. I love her being portable when I want and stationary when I want. I love her wee little self all curled up against me when she falls asleep in my arms. I don't midn meeting her every need and I love it when I can tell exactly what's wrong with her just by looking at her. But I also can't wait for her to be as independent as she wants to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment